Drone users must observe rules of the sky.

Drone or RPAS users whether flying privately or professionally must follow the rules of the air.

Here at UAVAir we realise that not everybody is aware of the law, and we therefore strive to share the message that the UK CAA (Civil Aviation Authorities) and BALPA (British Airline Pilot Association) is trying to spread out to the public.

Some good advice is given by the CAA if you intend to fly your drone privately, however small it might be.

• Keep your drone within your line of sight and at a maximum height of 400ft.

• Always fly your drone away from aircraft, helicopters, airports and airfields.

• Use your common sense and fly safely. Remember you could be prosecuted if you don’t.

Should you on the other-hand wish to fly your drone professionally even if just for your friend or neighbour, then you must be approved to do so. Whenever a drone operator receives remuneration for the pictures, videos or services offered using a drone, it is considered to be Aerial Work, which requires a PFAW (Permit For Aerial Work).

You must always remember the following

  • You are legally responsible for the safe conduct of each flight, so you must take time to understand the rules.
  • You must check the drone for damage before each flight, and make sure that all components are working correctly.
  • You must keep the drone insight at all times when flying.
  • You are responsible for avoiding collisions with other people or objects - including aircraft.
  • Don’t fly your unmanned aircraft within 50m of a person, vehicle, building or structure, or overhead groups of people at any height. Also, stay well clear of airports and airfields.
  • Think about what you do with any images you obtain as you may breach privacy laws. Details are available from the Information Commissioner's Office.
  • If you intend to use an Drone or UAV (Unmanned aircraft) for any kind of commercial activity, you must get a ‘Permission’ from the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority).

Here at UAVAir we offer Drone Training, which will allow you to obtain a PFAW. If you book our Integrated Course you will learn all the theoretical knowledge required to operate your drone safely and efficiently. During the three day course you will also be tested on your ability to fly the Drone safely. Once the course is successfully completed, you will gain a UAQ (Unmanned Aircraft Qualification) which will allow you to apply for a PFAW with the CAA. The UAQ can also be used as a stand alone qualification should you wish to gain employment with a company already operating under a PFAW.

Please fly responsibly, and should you have any questions regarding the use of drones whether is being for private- or professional use, then please do not hesitate to get in touch.

As mentioned we also offer Drone Training Courses, so should you wish to enter this new and expanding industry, then we will be more than happy to assist. Why not visit us at UAVAir.

Safe Flying.