A note about insurance

To all students and prospective candidates, the CAA recently updated their insurance policies after a brief review of their regulations.

In a letter written to all NQE’s, the CAA states, as of 1 March 2017, all applications for Permission for Commercial Operations (PfCO), regardless of weight/class category, must have the proper EC785/2004 insurance in place before applying to the CAA. Failure to show proof of proper insurance may result in a rejection of the application, or delays to the issuance of the PfCO. You can read the full letter below or review the CAA’s insurance policy here.

If you’re looking to be a qualified drone operator, get in touch with UAVAir to see how we can help you. Our UAQ (Unmanned Aircraft Qualification) course will teach you all the theoretical and practical knowledge needed to operate a drone safely and efficiently. We’re also an accredited ProQual Level 3 and Level 4 Training School in The Remote Piloting of Unmanned Aircraft Systems for Commercial Operation, which means your qualification will be academically recognised around the world.

Get in touch with UAVAir here and start your drone journey today!

Letter received from the CAA, 1st March 2017:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Insurance Requirements for SUA/SUSA Operators:
Following a review of our procedures we are writing to remind you that all applications for UAV Permissions, regardless of weight/class category, must have insurance cover that meets the requirements of EC785/2004 before a Permission is granted.

This requirement should be emphasised by NQEs in their instructional material and assessment, under CAP 722 Appendix E29- Small Unmanned Aircraft- Remote Pilot Theoretical Knowledge/General Airmanship Syllabus, Subject, Air Law/ Responsibilities.

The responsibility lies with the applicant to ensure that cover provided by insurers meets the requirements of EC785/2004. The CAA will not advise which Insurers provide this service."